wordpress plugins that slow down your site and its alternatives
do wordpress plugins slow down website ?
No it doesn’t. At least, not on the front end, or in the back end in any non-plugin area. WordPress only loads files whose file paths are stored in the active_plugins option in the database and ignores everything else completely.
- WP DB Backup — Though, to the author’s credit, he recommends not saving backups to the local file system.
- WP DB Manager — Local storage is the only option here, and
.htaccess protection is recommended, but disk space usage is a definite concern.
- BackupWordPress — While the plugin is not insecure, it duplicates a number of files on disk that are already in our backups.
Server & MySQL Thrashing Plugins
Related Posts Plugins
Almost all “Related Posts” plugins suffer from the same fundamental problems regarding MySQL, indexing and search. All of these problems make the plugins themselves extremely database intensive.
- Dynamic Related Posts
- SEO Auto Links & Related Posts
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin
- Similar Posts
- Contextual Related Posts
There are dedicated services allow you to offload related post functionality to their servers.
Broken Link Checker Alternatives
It’s not a plugin, and won’t make the server unhappy: http://www.brokenlinkcheck.com/
. An even better solution to using a website to scan for broken links would be an application that you install on your computer: